Right to buy

What is the Right to Buy scheme?

The Right to Buy scheme helps social tenants in England and Wales buy their council home at a discount.

You can apply for Right to Buy if you’ve been a council or public sector tenant for 3 years (it doesn’t have to be 3 years in a row). You are a public sector tenant if you have lived in properties provided by a housing association, the armed services or a public body.

You can make a ‘joint application’ to buy your home through Right to Buy with someone who shares the tenancy with you or with up to 3 family members. They must have lived with you for the past 12 months.

Information requests/ help and advice

For an information pack including an application form please use our general enquiries form.

Please note a written and signed application form (RTB1) must be submitted, together with a Right to Buy additional information request form.    

For further information please go to the Gov.uk right to buy webpages.

The following links provide information from the Government and NKDC on the overall Right to Buy scheme:

  1. Right to Buy summary booklet
  2. Your right to buy your home: a guide
  3. Notice claiming the Right to Buy (RTB1 form)
  4. Right to Buy additional information request
  5. Right to Buy Service NKDCs Aims and Standards