Support and independence

accordion | support and independence

Disabled Facilities Grant

Disabled Facilities grants are available across all tenures for a wide range of works to enable disabled people live independently in their own home.

The Council can fund adaptations for the following works:

  • Modifying a bathroom;
  • Installing a stairlift;
  • Moving a toilet;
  • Providing ramps for wheelchair access;
  • Making doorways wider;
  • Making sleeping and toilet facilities accessible;
  • Improving heating, lighting controls or power sources; and more.

North Kesteven District Council Housing Renewal Officers will deal with any request. For work to be carried out, adaptations must be reasonable and practicable. We consider the age, condition and layout of your home following an inspection. You will not get any grant if you have started work before the Council has approved your application.

An Occupational Therapist from Lincolnshire County Council will visit you to assess your needs and recommend what modifications are necessary and appropriate. These may be different from what you had in mind.

We will work with you and the Occupational Therapist to find the most straightforward and cost effective way of adapting your home.  Sometimes we will need more information from other people, such as your doctor or Medical Consultant.  How long adaptations take will depend on several factors, some of which are outside the District’s Council’s control, such as:

  • The workload of Occupational Therapists as to how long their assessment takes;
  • Demand and contractor availability;
  • The complexity of work.

Adaptations can take anywhere between a few weeks and a year or more to complete, depending upon the size of the job.

If you want to make an application, please contact Adult Social Care on 01522 782155 or the Children with Disabilities Team on 01522 782111. Use these numbers if you require and equipment or minor adaptations carrying out (minor adaptations for Council properties are carried out by the Housing Department). You can find more information on the Lincolnshire County Council help to live at home webpages.

If you would like to find out more, contact the District Council’s Customer Services Centre or send an email. If an Occupational Therapist from Social Services is already seeing you, they may be able to refer you to the District Council and tell us what you need.

Sanctuary scheme

The Sanctuary Scheme has been developed for people who find themselves affected by domestic violence and abuse in North Kesteven. Domestic abuse is the abuse of someone by a partner, ex-partner or resident family member.

People can be abused in different ways:

  • Physically
  • Psychologically
  • Emotionally
  • Economically
  • Sexually

Anyone can be a victim of domestic abuse. The aim of the scheme is to provide additional security measures to your property, by carrying out building works (recommended by the Police Crime Reduction Officer) that make it difficult for unwanted visitors to gain access to the property. This helps victims remain in their home and feel safe.

Often victims feel scared, helpless and ashamed, because they have lost their confidence and self esteem. Professionals understand these feelings and are here to support you. Our aim is to make sure that you are safe and give you the support you need.

The scheme is available (following a housing options interview) to:

  • Council tenants
  • Housing association tenants
  • Private tenants
  • Owner-occupiers

Ground floor homes

We have properties that are allocated to people who need specific facilities. The majority of these properties are on the ground floor. When allocating these properties priority is given to people who:

  • Are over 60 years old
  • Under 60 years old with a permanent medical need (subject to an independent medical assessment)

Anyone who is interested in transferring to ground floor accommodation should contact the Housing Options team at the District Council Offices in Sleaford.

Equipment and small adaptations to the home

Help may be available to you if you:

  • have a disability

  • or are elderly

  • or have a long term illness which causes you to have difficulties coping with daily living tasks

What kind of help is there?

If you are require any of the following please ring the Social Care customer contact centre on 01522 782155. They can:

  • give advice on suitable equipment for you or adaptations for your home that will meet your needs.

  • supply you with some equipment; for example a raised toilet seat or bathing equipment.

  • give recommendations of minor adaptations to your home, like stair rails or outside hand rails. It is possible minor adaptations could be funded for you, including through the handyperson services.

if it is felt that major adaptations are needed, such as a lift or a ramp for wheelchair access,  discussion of how these can be funded. Help is available so that you can live independently in your present home. But if it is felt that you would be better off moving to different accommodation, this will be discussed with you.