Do you receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit?

Examples of changes you need to report

If you receive either Housing Benefit or Universal Credit and you have any changes to your personal circumstances, you must report this immediately. 

Examples include:

  • Starting or finishing a job
  • Changes to your household income or savings
  • People moving into or out of your household
  • The birth of a child
  • Moving to a new address
  • Changes to your rent

If you don’t report changes

If you don't report changes, the following may happen:

  • You may not get all the money you are entitled to
  • You will have to pay back money if you have been overpaid Housing Benefit or Universal Credit
  • You may be prosecuted if you have deliberately failed to report a change

Reporting changes

If you get Universal Credit, please sign on to your Universal Credit account, where you will be able to report the change. If you get Housing Benefit and need to report a change, you can do this by calling 01529 414155 or by emailing

Once you have reported your changes, please call the Duty Housing Officer on 01529 414155 so that we can advise you how this will affect your rent payments and offer you support if necessary.