Comment on alcohol and entertainment licence applications

Local residents are now able to have a greater say in the licensing process; anyone can make comments (called ‘representations’) about applications made under the Licensing Act 2003 regardless of where they live.

When applicants want to apply for a new licence, or vary their existing one (for example to put on additional activities or extend their hours), they must advertise the application by:

  • Placing a notice at or on the premises
  • Placing a notice in a newspaper

We will also publish the details on this web page of any relevant applications we receive, together with the dates by which representations must be received.

Any person or responsible authority is entitled to make a representation, provided that their comments relate to one or more of the four licensing objectives:

  • Prevention of crime and disorder
  • Public safety
  • Prevention of public nuisance
  • Protection of children from Harm

If persons are concerned that granting a licence in the terms it has been applied for is likely to have an effect on the promotion of one or more of these objectives, they have 28 consecutive days starting on the day after the day on which the application was given to us to make a representation.

Representations may be disregarded if we judge them to be frivolous or vexatious - please see our guidance for representations for further information.

How to make a representation about an application

All representations must be made in writing to the licensing authority at the address given in the ‘contact’ section and must be received before the last date for representations as indicated on our website. There is a representation form available to download. If you are in any doubt as to the date by which representations must be submitted, please contact us.

After a representation is made

Where representations are received and not withdrawn a hearing will be arranged to determine the application. Persons making representations are invited to attend and speak at the hearing, they may choose to be supported by a representative (legal representative, MP or local ward councillor etc) to speak on their behalf.

Objecting to an existing licence

The Licensing Act 2003 allows for any person and/or a responsible authority to apply for a formal review of the premises licence or club premises certificate where there are problems associated with one or more of the licensing objectives. There are exceptions for applications judged to be frivolous, vexatious or repetitious.

How do I apply for a review of a licence?

You should complete a review application form and serve the form on the same day on the holder of the premises/club premises certificate subject to the review, the licensing authority and copied to all responsible authorities.

What happens after I apply for a review?

Following receipt of the application, the licensing authority (so long as the application meets legal requirements) will advertise the notice of the application, will give dates by which other persons and/or responsible authorities may make representations (within 28 days) and set a date for a hearing.

Further information is given in guidance on reviews.

Viewing applications and licences

Applications can be viewed at our online license register which will show the details of any existing licences including any conditions (such as noise controls, or special time limits) as well as a draft version of the proposed new licence. Full application details, edited to comply with data protection legislation, can be viewed in person at our offices. Any person will be able to check all opening hours; licensable activities and any steps the applicant has volunteered to take to promote the four licensing objectives.

box link | online licensing register