Business licences and conditions

Private hire operator's licence

A private hire operator’s licence is required by any person who runs a business in the district which involves accepting or inviting bookings for private hire vehicles.

Hackney carriage (taxi)

Taxis (hackney carriages) can carry passengers who have hailed them in the street or from an authorised rank. They can also be pre-booked.

Wheelchair accessible taxis

Drivers of vehicles designated by the Council as being wheelchair accessible must comply with the requirements of Section 165 of the Equality Act 2010, unless they have been issued with an exemption certificate.

Door supervisor

Door supervisors are no longer licensed by the local authority, however a licence from the SIA is still required. Apply online.

House to house collection

Any person(s) wishing to undertake charitable house to house collections for money and/or goods in the District must apply to the Council for a house to house collection permit.

Personal licence forms

Persons applying for a personal licence will need to obtain an accredited licensing qualification.

Premises licence

Read information regarding right to work checks and the eligibility criteria for a premises licence.

Community events

See a guide to organising community events, and apply to hold an event.

Scrap metal dealer licence

Any person(s) collecting, buying or selling scrap, or operating a motor salvage business in the District requires a scrap metal dealer licence from the Council.

Sex establishment

A licence from the Council is needed before a sex establishment can be operated in the District.

Street café

View information regarding the street café licence

Street collection licence

Persons wishing to collect money from a street in North Kesteven will require a permit from the Council.

Temporary Event Notice (TEN)

Before an ad-hoc event that includes licensable activities takes place, the Council must be given notice that these activities are planned.

Noise from licensed premises

The Council supports businesses and wants people to enjoy themselves. However, a resident's right to peaceful enjoyment of their homes can be affected by events from licensed premises.

Tax conditionality

The government has introduced new tax requirements for certain licences. This is supported by a new digital service, developed by HMRC.

Sunday trading

There are no restrictions on shopping hours, excluding Sundays. All shops are able to open without restrictions between Monday and Saturday.

Street trading

Street trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street.

Dealing in game

The Regulatory Reform (Game) Order 2007 effectively removes the legal requirements for licences to take, kill, or deal in game.

Animal activity licensing

New laws relating to Animal Activity Licensing are now in force. Businesses undertaking any of these activities will need to comply with the new conditions, and will be assessed before the licence is granted.

Zoo licence

A licence from the Council is required to run a zoo in the District.

Approved food premises

If you operate food premises you may need to be approved by the Council. You should contact the Council to see if you require approval.


The Gambling Act 2005 replaces most of the existing laws about gambling in Great Britain and replaces it with an improved, more comprehensive structure of gambling regulation.

Caravan site and mobile home parks

The Council is required to license sites that have gained, or are in the process of obtaining, the relevant planning permission to operate as a recognised caravan, mobile home or park home site.

Environmental permit

You must have an environmental permit to operate a regulated facility in the District.

Food premises registration

When you start a new food business or take over an existing business, you must register with your local authority.

Skin piercing and tattooing licences

Anyone wishing to carry out “skin piercing” - specifically acupuncture, tattooing, cosmetic piercing, semi-permanent skin colouring or electrolysis - has to register with us.