Personal licence forms

Application process

There is no longer any requirement to renew personal licences, they run indefinitely.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, any individual may apply for a personal licence whether or not they are currently employed or have business interests associated with the use of a premises licence. Applications for a personal licence must be made to the Local Authority in the area where they reside.

You can apply for a personal licence at any time providing you are 18 or over.

You must provide proof that you have the legal right to work in the UK in order to hold a Personal Licence.

Applicants will need to complete an ‘Application for a personal licence’ and include the following:

  • The correct fee (currently £37);
  • Enclose a relevant licensing qualification (see below);

  • Enclose a basic Criminal Record check (see below);

  • Enclose two photographs (see below);

  • A fully completed Disclosure of Convictions and Civil Immigration Penalties & Declaration form

Application forms and printed guidance are available from the downloads section.

Personal licence qualifications

Persons applying for a personal licence will need to obtain an accredited licensing qualification. The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

The current qualification is the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders. (This replaces the Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, which will no longer be accepted if dated after 31st March 2011).

The Secretary of State accredits personal licence qualification training providers under the 2003 Act.

For details see: Accredited personal licence qualification providers

Contact the course providers direct for more information on the costs and local venues where they can be taken.

Criminal record check

You must submit a Criminal record check issued no earlier than one calendar month before the date of the application to prove that you have not been convicted of any relevant offences. In order to do this you should submit one of the following:

  1. A criminal conviction certificate issued under s112 of the Police Act 1997

    (a basic Disclosure)

  2. A criminal record certificate issued under s113A of the Police Act 1997

    (a standard or enhanced CRB check)

  3. The result of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998 of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service

We advise applicants to apply for a ‘Basic Disclosure’ from the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). These can be obtained online from

You must also make a separate declaration that you have not been convicted of a relevant offence or a foreign offence or been required to pay an immigration penalty – the declaration form is available from the downloads section.


Should be:

  • taken against a light background
  • size 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres
  • be full face without sunglasses
  • unless the applicant wears a head covering due to his/her beliefs, without a hat
  • on photographic paper; and endorsed by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community, or any individual with a professional qualification

Right To Work Checks

From the 6th April 2017, applicants for personal licences must prove that they have the legal right to work in the UK, by providing clear, legible copies of official documents showing that they are either a British or UK citizen, a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, have been granted indefinite leave to remain and work in the UK, or have another immigration permission allowing them to lawfully work in a field relevant to the sale of alcohol. 

Official guidance notes on what documents are acceptable and which pages must be photocopied are included after the application form. Do not send original documents through the post, but rather send good quality photocopies of all relevant pages. 

We may request further documentation or carry out further checks, including checking with the Home Office if an applicant’s immigration status is unclear. Personal licences cannot legally be granted to any person who does not have the right to work in the UK.

Licences will lapse automatically if your right to work in the UK expires or is revoked.

Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)

A personal licence holder must give written consent to become a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for licenced premises where the activity of sale by retail of alcohol is authorised. There can only be one DPS on the premises licence, but no limit on the number of personal licence holders in order to maintain effective management of the premises. All sales of alcohol must be authorised by a personal licence holder.

If you have no convictions, not had a licence forfeited in the past five years, are suitably trained, are 18 or over and have the right to work in the UK there is no reason why you should not qualify for a personal licence.

Please note that personal licences are not required in qualifying clubs, for temporary event notices (up to a maximum of five per year) and for premises which have licensable activities that do not include the sale by retail of alcohol. Personal licence holders are able to apply for up to fifty temporary event notices per year.