What is this review?
The Local Government Boundary Commission (LGBCE) for England has completed its review of the electoral arrangements for North Kesteven District Council. The new structure will take effect from May 2023.
The LGBCE has concluded residents should be represented by 43 councillors, the same number as there are now. The electoral ward boundaries across North Kesteven have been redrawn to ensure every councillor represents an equal number of voters. From 2023, there will be 24 wards in North Kesteven changing 18 of the current ward boundaries while six will remain the same. The key changes are shown in the table below:
Current NKDC structure
New NKDC structure (2023)
43 District Councillors
43 District Councillors
26 District wards
24 District wards
12 x single Member wards
9 x single-Member wards
11 x two Member wards
11 x two-Member wards
3 x three Member wards
4 x three-Member wards
The LGBCE have held two public consultations on the new proposals for NKDC and published their Final Recommendations on 11 January 2021. To see details on the review, reports and final decisions please visit the North Kesteven page on the LGBCE website. The LGBCE will put their Final Recommendations for Parliamentary approval in Spring 2021.
Why is this electoral review needed?
The review was needed as several wards in North Kesteven had too many or too few electors per councillor than the average for the Council as a whole. There were 34% of wards with a variance +/- 10% from the average electorate for the District, two wards had an electoral imbalance of over 20% and one ward had an electorate variance of -30%.
The review has looked to restore the electoral equality from 2023 making it easier for residents to have access to a Ward Councillor and fairer for Members in terms of the number of residents they represent.
Timetable for the electoral review
- November 2019 – NKDC gives electoral information to LGBCE
- December 2019 – Number of Councillors decided
- 7 January 2019 – Start of consultation asking for views on new ward boundaries
- 16 March 2020 – End of consultation. LGBCE analyses responses received and forms draft new ward boundary recommendations
- 11 August 2020 – LGBCE publishes new draft recommendations and start of second consultation
- 19 October 2020 – End of consultation. LGBCE analyses responses received and forms final new ward boundary recommendations
- 11 January 2021– LGBCE published final recommendations
- Spring 2021 – Recommendations put before Parliament for approval
- Spring 2021 to May 2023 – NKDC implement the Electoral Review changes
- May 2023 – NKDC District Councillor elections held using new electoral arrangements