What is this review?
The Local Government Boundary Commission (LGBCE) for England is currently reviewing the electoral arrangements for North Kesteven District Council. The review will firstly decide how many Councillors are needed at the District Council; there are currently 43 Councillors who are elected every four years.
Secondly, to make sure every councillor represents an equal number of voters, the review will draw new council electoral ward boundaries across North Kesteven. At the moment there are 26 wards with each ward represented by either one, two or three Councillors, depending on the number of electors living in the ward.
The LGBCE have held two consultations on the new proposals for NKDC and they will publish their Final Recommendations on 11 January 2021. To find out more about the LGBCE and this Electoral Review please visit the LGBCE website.
Why is this electoral review needed?
This review is needed because there are several wards in North Kesteven which have too many or too few electors per councillor than the average for the Council as a whole. The review will look to fix this and improve voter equality in local elections.
There are currently 34% of wards with a variance +/- 10% from the average electorate for the District, two wards have an electoral imbalance of over 20% and one ward has an electorate variance of -30%.
Timetable for the electoral review
- November 2019 – NKDC gives electoral information to LGBCE
- December 2019 – Number of Councillors decided
- 7 January 2019 – Start of consultation asking for views on new ward boundaries
- 16 March 2020 – End of consultation. LGBCE analyses responses received and forms draft new ward boundary recommendations
- 11 August 2020 – LGBCE publishes new draft recommendations and start of second consultation
- 19 October 2020 – End of consultation. LGBCE analyses responses received and forms final new ward boundary recommendations
- 11 January 2021– LGBCE publishes final recommendations
- Winter/ Spring 2021 – Recommendations approved by Parliament
- May 2023 – NKDC election using new electoral arrangements