Please note that North Kesteven District Council do not offer pest treatment services – if you would like someone to treat your rat or mice problem please contact a pest control company
Report a rat or mice problem
The sighting of rats independently does not imply there is an infestation. Rats can travel up to 2 miles in search of food and water. If you have noted vermin in the vicinity of your home, this is a natural occurrence as they will be searching for food/water. In order to minimise sightings and potential infestations, please ensure that all waste is stored securely in your wheeled bins, and any unwanted animal bedding/food is cleared away and fresh supplies kept securely stored.
If, after undertaking the steps below you are still experiencing a persistent rat or mice problem then please do not hesitate to contact us.
Due to the current situation regarding Covid-19, this department is currently experiencing a disruption to the way the service is delivered. As per guidance from the Government, we are currently unable to carry out any visits on district unless deemed critical.
How to deal with rats and mice
- Firstly, try to find the source of the problem and, if they are inside your property, find out how they have entered.
- Try blocking holes you find with newspaper and come back over the next few days to see which holes have been re-opened. You can then permanently seal all access holes.
- If you can’t find the source of the problem then eliminate accessible food and water supplies.
- Ensure there is no water coming from dripping pipes, hose pipes, taps etc. Rats and mice often eat from bird feeders – ensure the feeders are secured or removed before dusk each day.
- Try to remove or clear out any possible refuge / breeding spaces.
- Keep your garden and home tidy – cut your grass and do not allow your garden to become overgrown.
- If the problem persists after you have undertaken the steps above then you may wish to use traps, poison or bait or, alternatively, contact a local pest control specialist. Many local specialists can be found via a simple internet search.
- If the above methods provide no success then do not hesitate to contact us.
Environmental Health Team
North Kesteven District Council
Tel: 01529 414155
Out of Hours Emergency: 01529 308308