Health and safety at work

We do the following

  • Inspect places of work to ensure compliance with health and safety law, in accordance with government priorities.
  • Use educational techniques as well as legal means to achieve compliance
  • Investigate accidents to employees or others which occur in workplaces
  • Investigate complaints about health, safety or welfare in work premises
  • License particular premises (eg skin piercing, sex shops)
  • Advice others about health and safety at events being held at Licensed Premises
  • Work with Planning and Building Control Officers to advise on health and safety implications of new developments
  • Give advice to customers and all stakeholders on health and safety issues
  • Work with other health professionals locally and nationally

What you can expect us to do

  • Carry out regular and usually unannounced inspections of workplaces
  • Investigate relevant workplace accidents within one working day of being notified
  • Respond to complaints about health and safety in workplaces within two working days
  • Respond to requests for advice or information about health and safety within two working days
  • Respond to letters and emails about health and safety issues within four working days
  • Keep you fully informed of the progress made with your enquiry or complaint

Help us to help you

Please contact by any means listed at the bottom of the page, if you wish to make a complaint about health, safety or welfare conditions in a workplace. Please have full details ready of the premises concerned when you contact us.

Some workplaces will be the responsibility of the Health and Safety Executive, rather than the Council, according to the nature of the work carried out. We can advise you who the relevant ‘enforcing authority’ for health and safety purposes is, when you contact us. If you make a complaint about a workplace, we will require your name, address and contact details so that we can keep you informed of our progress.

Contact details

Telephone: 01529 414155
Fax: 01529 308394