Voter ID - Voter Authority Certificate

Text with background | Voter ID

If you wish to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate to vote in the General Election on 4 July 2024, we need to receive your application by 5pm on 26 June 2024.

Text | Voter ID

It is now a requirement that anyone voting in person at a polling station will need to show photo identification (ID) before being given a ballot paper to vote.

If you do not have any of the accepted forms of ID and want to vote at a polling station, you need to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. Applications must be made by 5pm six working days before an election.

You should apply for a Voter Authority Certificate if:

  • you do not have accepted photo ID
  • you no longer look like the photo on your ID
  • the name on your photo ID is significantly different to your name on the electoral register

Apply for a Voter Authority Certificate 

When you apply, you will need the following;

  • A passport quality photograph.

  • Your National Insurance Number

  • Your date of birth

Information for British Sign Language users

button | apply for VAC at GOV.UK
text | VAC paper applications

Can I apply using a paper form?

You can also submit an application on a paper application form.

A copy of the paper application form can also be requested by emailing the elections team or calling on 01529 414155.

What if I need assistance in completing an application?

If you can't apply online and need assistance you can apply in person to North Kesteven District Council. Contact the Elections Team to make an appointment - email or call 01529 414155.

accordion | VAC FAQs


What is a Voter Authority Certificate?

The Voter Authority Certificate is a new free voter photo document available for those without any other form of photo ID. An elector can use the Voter Authority Certificate as their photo ID to prove who they are in a polling station.

The Certificate will show an elector’s name and photograph, the date of issue, the issuing local authority, an appropriate identifier, and a recommended renewal date of 10 years from issue.

There is an application form to complete, and you will need to provide a photo of yourself as part of the application.

What if my photo doesn’t meet the photo standards due to a disability?

If you let us know you have a disability on your application form, the photo you supply:

  • doesn’t need to have a plain expression
  • doesn’t need to have your eyes open and visible

If you are unable to take your photo or you don’t think it meets the photo standards, please get in touch with NKDC to discuss this and the options available. 

NKDC can arrange to take a photo for you at the NKDC offices if you would like to use this service, please book an appointment either by phone 01529 414155 or email customer services.

What do I do if I’m not registered to vote?

If you are not yet registered to vote and you don’t have any ID available, then you will need to register to vote first. You can register to vote online. If you do not have access to the internet, you can call NKDC on 01529 414155 to make a telephone application or request an application form is posted to you. An application form can also be collected from the NKDC offices in Sleaford.

If I move house, can I still use my Voter Authority Certificate at a different polling station?

Yes, you can still use the same Voter Authority Certificate if you move house either in the same local authority area or any other local authority area in England or Wales.

text | VAC policy link

Voter Authority Certificates Privacy Notice

Please visit our Privacy webpage to view or download our privacy notice for Voter Authority Certificates.