Councillor Allowances


Each of our Councillors receives a ‘basic allowance’ to reflect the work they do as local representatives. They can also claim for:-

  • Special Responsibility Allowances, which are paid to Chairmen and Vice-Chairmen of Committees, Leader of the Council, Members of the Executive Board and Leader of the Opposition. 
  • Childcare / carers allowance, which Members can claim for a when attending to council business.
  • Travel and subsistence expenses can also be claimed by Councillors to cover their costs when they are required to travel for approved duties.

In addition to directly paid expenses, we also provide our Councillors with an iPad to assist them in carrying out their duties.

In accordance with the Local Authorities’ (Members’ Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003, details of the amounts paid are available in the downloads section. Both the basic and special responsibility allowances are taxable and subject to National Insurance.

A list of Councillors expenses can be found in the downloads section.

Independent remuneration panel

The Local Authorities (Members’) Allowance (England) Regulations 2003 put in place a simplified framework for allowances that covers county and district councils, London borough councils, and parish councils.

We are unable to revoke or amend our scheme of allowances without first considering the recommendations of an independent panel. The Council can decide to either accept none, some, or all of the Panel’s recommendations but it must take into account the Panel’s findings before it either amends its existing scheme or introduces a new scheme.

Please note that when standing as a candidate the cost incurred is the personal expense of the candidate or a political party (if they are representing one) e.g. leaflets hire of rooms etc. The Council cannot and does not refund the costs incurred.