Role and responsibility
The role and responsibility as Chairman to North Kesteven District Council:
- The civic and ceremonial head of the Council; an ambassador representing the Council and the community they serve to create a community of exceptional values
- Building connections, and bringing information to the authority from experiences learned
- Satisfy themselves that their impact through mediation between the community and the authority makes a difference and follows the ethos of the authority.
- Working in a proactive way to ensure the authority’s aims, objectives and priorities are met and to promote good practice.
- Host main civic events - welcoming visitors to the authority on behalf of the Council members and networking within the community through stakeholders, community groups, public and the voluntary sector.
- To preside over principal meetings of the Council and to ensure that Council meetings are conducted in a professional manner and in accordance with the procedure laid down in the Local Government Act 1972 and in the Council’s Standing Orders.
Currently in office
Currently in office at North Kesteven District Council:
- The Chairman for 2017-18 (elected 25th May 2017) – Councillor Mrs Sally Tarry
- The Vice-Chairman for 2017-18 (elected 25th May 2017) – Councillor Geoff Hazelwood
Every year the Chairman selects a charity to support. You can find more information about the Chairman's charity on our Chairman's Charities webpage.
The Civic Officer is responsible for the day-to-day running of the Civic Office as follows:-
- Provides support to the Chairman and Vice-Chairman in the delivery of their civic duties in respect of managing, organising, prioritising and coordinating their programme of civic engagements and commitments.
- Acts as first point of contact receiving all requests for official engagements and liaises with other authorities and outside organisations involved.
- Programmes and manages the Council’s civic events hosted by the Chairman annually
- Manages the Chairman’s charity fund during the Chairman’s year of office
- Advices the Chairman and Vice-chairman on civic protocol.
If you would like to contact the Chairman, or invite them to an event, please do so via the Civic Officer:
Mrs Clare Richardson
Civic Officer – Democratic Services
North Kesteven District Council
Council Offices, Kesteven Street