The equality standard for local government is a framework which local authorities can use to make sure that they are compliant with equality legislation.
The Standard was prepared by the Local Government Association together with the various equalities commissions and has five key areas:
- Knowing your communities and equality mapping
- Place shaping, leadership, partnership and organisational commitment
- Community engagement and satisfaction
- Responsive services and customer care
- A modern and diverse workforce
The equality framework for local government measures equality performance against three levels of attainment: ‘Developing’, ‘Achieving’ and ‘Excellent’. North Kesteven District Council is currently at the ‘Achieving’ level of the framework.