Icon: Safety Services

Dangerous Structures

The Local Authority has a responsibility to deal with dangerous structures 24 hours a day 365 days a year as they occur.

What is a dangerous building or structure?

The term ‘dangerous structure’ covers buildings or parts of buildings. It also includes garden walls, fences or hoardings, in fact any built structure that because of its condition could endanger the public.

What do you do if you think a building or structure is dangerous?

You need to report the problem directly to your local Building Control office either in person or by telephoning their office on 01529 308136. Outside of office hours please call 01529 308308.

Where necessary the council can require the owner of the dangerous structure to make it safe or, in an emergency, take direct action to remove the danger under powers contained in Sections 77 and 78 of The Building Act 1984.

What charges will be made for this service?

No charge will be made for the advice or guidance given by the Building Control Surveyor. However, where the council’s contractor is used to deal with the danger, payment of their charges will be the responsibility of the owner of the building or structure.

If you need further information or to report a dangerous structure please contact the Building Control team by telephone or email. Alternatively you can write to or visit a Building Control Officer at our Sleaford Offices: Building Control Services, North Kesteven District Council, Kesteven Street, Sleaford, Lincolnshire, NG34 7EF