Tenant satisfaction surveys show that car parking problems cause more unhappiness than almost anything else. We are improving this through an annual parking programme. This includes building lay-bys, driveways and hard-standing areas.

The areas with the worst problems will be improved first.

You can park a roadworthy car or motorbike in your driveway or parking area, if you have one. If you want to park a larger vehicle such as a caravan or boat or commercial vehicle in your driveway or parking area you need the Council’s permission.

If you share a driveway make sure that you do not obstruct other users’ access.

If car parking spaces are provided outside your home these should only be used for a roadworthy car or motorbike.

If you would like to construct a driveway, hard-standing, car-port or garage in your garden you must get permission first. You will need to comply with any building regulations or planning permission. You also need to get the County Council’s permission to build a vehicle access over a footpath.