Property alteration by tenant

Property alteration by tenant

You have the right to carry out improvements to your council property, such as fitting a new bathroom suite, replacing kitchen units or building a new fireplace.

However, you must first ask for permission and you must carry out any work to the guidelines that we give you.

We will not refuse permission unreasonably, but may make certain conditions.  We will only refuse permission if the work would cause us expense, make it difficult to let the property in the future or give rise to complaints from other residents.

If the proposed work requires building control or planning permission, you must seek this consent also.  If you make an improvement or alterations to your home (including decorations to the outside) without our agreement in writing we may ask you to return the property to how it was before.  If you don’t do this work, we will do the work and you must pay for it.

If successful and you are given permission, we expect the work to be done to a high standard using proper materials.  We would expect large projects to be carried out by qualified tradesmen.

You should then notify us when the work is complete so that we can assess whether the works have been completed to our satisfaction.  We will then confirm this in writing.

Non secure tenants may not alter or add anything to the property.