You must return all keys by noon on the Monday following the last day of your tenancy. A receipt will be issued when the keys are returned. In the case of a dispute, you will need the receipt.
You may be recharged for the costs and administration, where we consider that certain work is your responsibility when leaving your property. For example,
- Repairs required where damage is not due to general wear and tear
- Your house and garden have not been cleared of rubbish before you leave the property
- Any fixtures and fitting that you have added which need to be removed and
- Removal of sheds, greenhouses, garden furniture and pots etc.
If in doubt please contact a Repairs Officer for more information.
You may not be allowed to move to another council property in the future if you owe us money.
What else should I arrange before handing in the keys?
- Read the electricity meter and tell your supplier you are moving
- Turn off the water at the stop-cock
- Notify Post Office of change of address
- Tell Telephone Company you are moving
- Turn gas supply off, read meter and tell supplier you are moving
- Cancel milk and newspaper deliveries