SpeakIT Plus: Accessibility tools
Ending a tenancy: Rent and benefits

Ending a tenancy: Rent and benefits

When you hand in your keys, your rent account must be clear. If you are unable to pay any unpaid rent in full, you should discuss this with your Housing Officer. We will ask you to make a weekly payment arrangement to clear the debt. If you are not moving to another council tenancy, you must give us a forwarding address and telephone number so we can contact you.

If you do not clear your rent account, or make arrangements to pay outstanding rent through regular payments, North Kesteven District Council will take further action to get back the money you owe.  We may use tracing agents and debt collection agencies to help us.  We may also take legal action to recover the debt.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax

You must inform the Benefits Service of any change of address.

If you already receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit, you must tell the Benefits Service your new address as soon as possible. This is to make sure you continue to receive all money.