SpeakIT Plus
Gas safety certificates

Gas safety certificates

In all privately rented residential accommodation the landlord has specific legal responsibilities under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations that require your landlord to:

  • Maintain pipework, appliances and flues provided for your use in a safe condition.
  • Carry out a 12 monthly gas safety check on each gas appliance/flue. A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
  • Provide you with a record of the annual gas safety check within 28 days of the check being completed or when you move in. If a property or room is hired out for less than 28 days at a time, it is also permissible for your landlord to display a copy of the current Landlords Gas Safety Record in a prominent position within the property.

These safety checks can only be completed by a gas safe registered engineer. More information and what to do if your landlord will not provide you with a copy of the gas safety record can be found on the Gas Safe website.

A landlord will not be able to gain possession of their property using section 21 of the Housing Act 1988 where a tenant should have been issued with a gas safety record but was not.