Adapting your home

Adapting your home

The Council can fund adaptations to make life easier

If you would like to find out more, contact the District Council’s customer services centre or send an email. From this you can be referred to Social Services. If an occupational therapist from Social Services is already seeing you, they may be able to refer you to the District Council and tell us what you need.

Equipment and small adaptations to the home

 If you:

  • have a disability

  • or are elderly

  • or have a long term illness which causes you to have difficulties coping with daily living tasks

help may be available to you.

What kind of help is there?

If you are require any of the following please ring the Social Care customer contact centre on 01522 782155.

  • advice on suitable equipment for you or adaptations for your home that will meet your needs.

  • supply of some equipment; for example a raised toilet seat or bathing equipment.

  • recommendation of minor adaptations to your home, like stair rails or outside hand rails. It is possible minor adaptations could be funded for you, including through the handyperson services.

  • if it is felt that major adaptations are needed, such as a lift or a ramp for wheelchair access,  discussion of how these can be funded.

help so that you can live independently in your present home. But if it is felt that you would be better off moving to different accommodation, this will be discussed with you.