Rural housing

Rural housing

The Council carries out rural housing needs surveys to identify whether there is a local housing need in that settlement.

The process is:

  1. We may decide to carry out a housing needs survey in a particular settlement. Alternatively a Parish Council can request a survey to be carried out.

  2. The survey is sent to every household in the parish and a call for land may take place at the same time to identify suitable sites for development.

  3. If a need is identified we will look to see if there is a suitable site from the call for land.

  4. An Affordable Housing Provider will develop the affordable housing subject to planning permission, funding from the government and negotiations with the landowner.

Sometimes we can use the Exception Policy (detailed in the Local Plan) to build affordable housing on sites where market housing development would not be permitted. The policy states that development can only take place if there is a proven local housing need, all the properties are for affordable housing in perpetuity and priority is given to local people.