SpeakIT Plus
Council Tax FAQs

Council Tax FAQs

No.  If the instalments on your bill state that they are to be paid by direct debit, the Council will ensure that the correct amount is taken and there is nothing for you to do.

The Disabled Band Reduction means that taxpayers are charged at a band lower than the band of the property.  If you are receiving a reduction, it will tell you the Band that you are being charged alongside the words “Band Reduction”.  If there is no band shown alongside these words, then you are not receiving a Disabled Band Reduction.

The Council Tax is calculated on a daily basis and the calculation takes account of known changes that will take place up to a month in advance.  You should inform the Council when you know for certain, the date that you will be moving out and we will send you a revised bill charging you only for the days that you are resident in the property.  If your moving out date is more than a month in the future, we will send you your revised a bill one month before your move.

Adult Social Care is part of the County Council’s responsibility and normally forms part of their precept.  Over the last two years, the Government has allowed the County Council to increase the amount they charge to council taxpayers for Adult Social Care, but the extra increase has to be shown separately on the bill.

Street lighting is a service provided by the County Council and the costs are met from the County Council’s precept.  If you have any questions about the lights being turned off, you should address them to the County Council on 01522 552055.  However, the Council Tax set by the County is charged to each property according to which valuation band the property has been placed by the Valuation Officer and there is no reduction in the bill for the street lights being turned off.

The precept for the Police and Crime Commissioner goes towards paying for the services of the whole Police Force and is not just to meet the salary costs of the Commissioner.  If you want further details about this, you address your enquiry to the Crime and Police Commissioner on 01522 558140.

If there is an amount on your bill that requires immediate payment, this is because it is an outstanding amount from previous years and should be paid before 31 March.

We send a bill to every household for every financial year.  So if you do not pay Council Tax because for example you are on full benefit, we will still send you a bill to advise you of the charge and how much benefit you are receiving.  You should check the figures on the bill and supporting letters carefully to ensure that your benefit is correct.  If you find any errors, please let us know.

All the details are contained in the Council tax information leaflet found on our website.