Universal Credit

Applying for Universal Credit in North Kesteven

Universal Credit is a new benefit which replaces six existing benefits. Certain people who met a set of conditions have already been able to apply for Universal Credit in North Kesteven.

As from 1st January 2018 you cannot make a new application for Universal Credit in North Kesteven unless you have already received Universal Credit within the past six months and are in the re-award period.

Applications for Universal Credit will be available when the full digital service is rolled out in North Kesteven from March 2018. The Universal Credit full digital service will enable you to apply and manage your benefits application online.

To find out what date your postcode falls within the Universal Credit roll out, please use our postcode checker.

New applicants

If you have not received Universal Credit within the past 6 months for now you will need to apply for the existing benefit types such as:

  • Jobseekers Allowance, Income Support or Employment and Support Allowance – you can claim these from Department for Work and Pensions
  • Housing Benefit – you can claim from City of Lincoln Council
  • Child/Working Tax Credits – you can claim from HMRC

Existing Universal Credit applicants

If you already receive Universal Credit and you need to report a change, you can do this by telephone on 0800 328 9344.

Applying for Universal Credit from March 2018

Once your postcode falls within a Full Service area you can apply for Universal Credit if you:

  • would have previously applied for a legacy benefit
  • are between 18 and state pension qualifying age
  • have low or no income
  • are not in full-time education

Universal Credit claims with children

You cannot claim Universal Credit if you have three or more children and have not claimed Universal Credit in the last six months.

There are two exceptions to this:

  • if you claimed Universal Credit in the previous six months and are able to make a Universal Credit re-claim or
  • if you are making a single claim and were part of a Universal Credit couple claim that ended within the last month.

If you do not meet this criteria you can apply for Child Tax Credit and Housing Benefit instead.

Universal Credit claims if you are over the state pension qualifying age

For customers over the Pension Credit qualifying age, you can claim Universal Credit if you have a partner who is under Pension Credit qualifying age, or you can claim Housing Benefit and Pension Credit.

If you pay Council Tax you may also be able to apply for Council Tax Support.

Use our benefits calculator allows you to see what you may be entitled to.

Universal Credit support

You can contact our Universal Credit support team via email at ucsupport@lincoln.gov.uk. You can also phone us on 01522 873592.