How to report flooding

text with background | Storm Babet gov funding

Help has been announced by Government for businesses and households in areas that have experienced exceptional localised flooding, to help them recover from the impact of Storm Babet. For more information please see our flood recovery for domestic and commercial properties webpage. For advice on recovering from a flood, including assessing the damage and safely cleaning homes and premises, visit the Lincolnshire Resilience Forum website.

text | how to report flooding

Flooding advice and information can be found in the downloads and useful links tabs.

Are you experiencing flooding or do you want to report potential flooding? If so, please ring the Lincolnshire County Council, Customer Service Centre’s Highways Team on 01522 782082.

Your call will be logged and passed to a Highways officer to investigate on a priority basis. Please bear with us during busy periods as we will attend to those callers who require assistance and cannot self-help first. If, however, your situation gets worse please ring back again and let us know, or ring 999 if the situation becomes life threatening.

You can also report flooding on Lincolnshire County Council's FixMyStreet tool.


If you rely on a private water supply and suffer a flooding event, you should assume the supply has been contaminated and is not fit to use without boiling. Alternatively you could use a bottled water supply, but please refer to the advice of the Health Protection Agency on giving bottled water to infants. Even if you have a treatment system, it may be the contamination is so great (this may not be visible) and the treatment method may have been unable to cope with it. Therefore still treat the water as contaminated and boil accordingly. Testing may be required to assess quality.


On occasion, we experience periods of drought. This may cause groundwater levels to become exceptionally low which can affect private water supplies, for example springs sources and wells drying up or pumps running dry.

The Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI) have summarised the Private Water Supply Legislation with regards to drought conditions detailing the responsibilities of the Local Authority, the local water company and the person(s) responsible for the Private water Supply. Should a domestic supply become insufficient you can contact the Local Authority or local water company for advice. Only when it is considered that there is a danger to life or human health is there an obligation to provide an alternative supply, in these circumstances the Local Authority has the power to require the local water company to supply water by means other than in pipes. Charges will be made for this service. In practice, owners of domestic supplies should approach their water company directly.

Owners or large and/or commercial supplies need to have their own arrangements in place for an alternate supply of water.

Lincolnshire Resilience Forum

There is a helpful set of information on the Lincolnshire Resilience Forum website regarding the risk of flooding, how it can affect you and how you can all be better prepared. 

It also contains information on what to do after a flood.

Flood Re

If you have suffered from flooding or live in a flood risk area, you may have had difficulties getting home insurance for your home. A scheme to help with this is available called Flood Re. This is a national scheme designed to help provide better access to affordable home insurance for those in high flood-risk areas across the UK. It represents a long-term, sustainable approach to providing home insurance for those at flood risk.