Incentives and funding options

incentives and funding options | accordion

Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)

You could get money towards renewable heating costs in your home. This Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) scheme is available for domestic and non-domestic applications. Both of these schemes aim to support people looking to move to renewable technologies and away from heating schemes using fossil fuels such as oil and coal.

Both the domestic and non-domestic schemes are run by Ofgem on behalf of the Department for Energy and Climate Change (DECC). The Ofgem website has lots of information and advice on how the scheme works as well as the eligibility criteria and the application process for each scheme. The domestic RHI is aimed at householders and the non-domestic sector includes industrial, commercial, public sector and not-for-profit.

For general queries about the domestic RHI contact the Energy Saving Advice Service on 0300 123 1234 or email Energy Advice.

For general queries on the non-domestic RHI contact 0845 200 2122 or email Ofgem.

Feed in Tariffs

Feed in Tariffs (FITs) are paid by the Government and energy-supply companies to people who are generating power using renewable technologies. The information here is aimed at local homeowners, communities and small businesses.

The rate at which FITs are paid depends upon:

  • The type of renewable technology being installed - solar, wind, hydro, anaerobic digesters and micro-combined-heat-and-power installation
  • The size/capacity of the installation
  • The dates of commissioning and of application for FITs
  • The energy efficiency of the building supplied
  • The number of sites on which the FIT recipient is claiming

In order to be able to claim the FIT you must ensure the installation is carried out by providers registered with the Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS). The exception is for micro-hydro schemes which should be accredited by ROO-FIT. There are a large number of companies supplying renewable technology and prices do vary we advise you get at least 3 quotes for any works.

If you are considering any of these renewable technologies the Energy saving Trust feed in tariff webpages have lots of information and advice to get you started and also shows the up-to-date FIT rates applicable to each technology.

There is also very helpful information on the GOV.UK feed-in tariffs webpages.

Replacing your boiler

If your boiler is more than 15 years old then it probably won’t be a condensing boiler and will not be as efficient as it should be. A new high efficiency condensing boiler with a full set of controls can save you up to £235 a year off of your heating bill and 1,300kg of CO2.

Knowing what size and type of boiler you need to get can be a tricky business but the Energy Saving Trust can give details on the options available and have created a frequently asked questions section to help you. Work on gas appliances must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer (Gas Safe register replaced CORGI on 1st April 2009).

It is important to make sure your home is properly insulated before you fit a new boiler otherwise you may not get the right size or be able to benefit from as much saving in your heating bills.