Police and Crime Commissioner elections

When do these elections take place?

The election of the Police and Crime Commissioner for Lincolnshire normally takes place every four years. The results of the election held in May 2021 are available here on our election results page.

Who can vote at a Police and Crime Commissioner election?

To vote at a Police and Crime Commissioner election you must be registered to vote and: 

  • be 18 or over on the day of the election (‘polling day’)

  • be a British, Irish, qualifying Commonwealth or EU citizen

  • be resident at an address in England or Wales

  • not be legally excluded from voting  

How is a Police and Crime Commissioner elected?

Police and Crime Commissioners are elected using the Supplementary Vote System. Each elector can mark both their first and second choices from the candidates standing in the area in the relevant columns on the ballot paper. If a candidate gets more than 50% of the first choice votes cast across the whole of the voting area (eg county of Lincolnshire) they are elected. If this is not the case, all candidates except the top two will be eliminated and the second choice votes from the eliminated candidates will then be counted. The candidate with the most votes (from the first and counted second choice votes) is elected.

One local authority for each Police Force Area will be designated as the Police Area Returning Officer and will have the overall responsibility for the administration of the election for that area. This is the City of Lincoln Council.     

What does a Police and Crime Commissioner do?

Further information about this role is available on the Association of Police and Crime Commissioner's website and Lincolnshire Police & Crime Commissioner's website.

Further information

At the time of an election more detailed information for voters, candidates and agents, including the election timetable will be found on our website.

For more information on types of elections and who can vote please visit  Elections in the UK on GOV.UK and the Electoral Commission website.