Disputes with neighbours or family disagreements

Neighbour and family disputes

We will not intervene in neighbour disputes and or family disagreements, which by their nature are based on people's intolerance and or prejudice associated with intergenerational, individual and lifestyle differences.

The classic neighbour or family type disputes between individuals do not amount to criminality or anti-social behaviour and are regarded as a private matter between the individuals concerned.

In the absence of parties agreeing to participate with mediation, parties will be advised to seek closure to their situation, through privately accessed civil remedy.

Common types of neighbour disputes

The most common disputes relate to:

  • noise, such as loud music and barking dogs
  • parking
  • property boundaries
  • overgrowing trees and hedges
  • children playing in the street

It’s important to note that most of these are civil matters, do not amount to Anti-Social Behaviour and are not matters for the police or council. However, you should certainly contact Lincolnshire Police if a neighbour or someone in your community is:

  • violent, abusive or threatening
  • harassing you
  • breaching the peace
  • committing a crime (or you suspect they might be)

If any of the above are the case, please report it to the police by calling 101.

What is the impact?

Disagreements between neighbours, however small, can fester over time and do lasting damage to your relationships in the long term. That’s why we would always encourage you to raise your concerns with one another and find amicable solutions as early as possible.

What you can do

Our first advice is always to talk to your neighbour if possible and try to resolve the issue peacefully. If you have a difference of opinion, see if you can find a compromise that works for both of you, such as no loud music after 11pm.

If you regularly hear your neighbours shouting and arguing or you feel that the argument you are hearing seems particularly violent, consider whether this could be a sign of domestic abuse.

If you are concerned for anyone’s safety within the household, then contact Lincolnshire Police on 999 in an emergency or 101. Alternatively, call the National Domestic Violence Helpline for free on 0808 2000 247

Find more advice on resolving neighbour disputes on the Gov.uk website.

If talking hasn’t worked

If you live in rented property or social housing, your landlord or housing association may be able to help you.

If the problem involves noise, such as a loud party or dogs barking, please see our noise nuisance webpage.

For disagreements over boundary walls, fences, trees or hedges, contact Citizens Advice for free information and support. In some cases you may also want to contact a solicitor.

On the subject of neighbours’ trees and hedges, you can cut any branches or roots that cross over the boundary onto your property. However, these cuttings still belong to your neighbour, so you should speak to them before disposing of them.

If you feel targeted or intimidated

If the problems have escalated or you’ve been threatened, verbally abused, or personally targeted please report the crime to Lincs Police or your local council. 

To contact us, please call on 01529 414155

Or alternatively, you can report anti-social behaviour to us online.

We would rather hear from you, and find ways to help, than find out that you were suffering in silence.