Pet shop licence

Pet shop licence

Before you apply for any licence, please make sure you read all the licensing information below.

Pet Shop Licences are restricted, by law, to calendar years only. They expire every December and must be renewed before that date for the licence to continue.

Apply online

Please ensure that you read all the information regarding this licence below before you begin the application process.

Apply for a licence to keep a pet shop

Apply to change a pet shop licence

Apply to renew a licence to keep a pet shop

Licence summary

To run a business selling pet animals from premises inside North Kesteven you need a licence from North Kesteven District Council. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

We try to make sure that all animals are well looked after, that pets will be looked after once they are sold, that the layout of any facilities are suitable and that staff are trained.

Eligibility criteria

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

A fee, determined by North Kesteven District Council, will be payable on application.

Regulation summary

Pet Animals Act 1951

Application evaluation process

North Kesteven District Council must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
  • adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals
  • that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young
  • that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals
  • that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place.

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 10 working days, please contact us. You can do this online here if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or use the contact details above.

Failed application redress

Please contact us in the first instance

Licence holder redress

Please contact us in the the first instance.
Applicants can appeal to the local Magistrates’ Court if we refuse to grant an application, or where we apply unreasonable conditions.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizen Advice Consumer Helpline will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Other redress

Anyone suffering nuisance due to noise, smells or similar because of a commercial premises should e-mail the NKDC Environment and Public Protection Team - or call on 01529 414155.