SpeakIT Plus
Personal licence forms

Personal licence forms

The requirement to renew personal licences has been abolished with effect from 1 April 2015.

Under the Licensing Act 2003, any individual may apply for a personal licence whether or not they are currently employed or have business interests associated with the use of a premises licence.  Applications for a personal licence must be made to the Local Authority in the area where they reside.

You can apply for a personal licence at any time providing you are 18 or over.

Applicants will need to complete an ‘Application for a personal licence’ and include the following:

  • The correct fee (currently £37);
  • Enclose a relevant licensing qualification (see below);
  • Enclose a basic Criminal Record check (see below);
  • Enclose two photographs (see below);
  • Make a declaration that you have not been convicted of a relevant foreign offence;

Application forms and printed guidance are available under the ‘downloads’ tab.

Personal Licence Qualifications

Persons applying for a personal licence will need to obtain an accredited licensing qualification.  The aim of the qualification is to ensure that licence holders are aware of licensing law and the wider social responsibilities attached to the sale of alcohol.

The current qualification is the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders.  (This replaces the Level 2 National Certificate for Personal Licence Holders, which will no longer be accepted if dated after 31st March 2011).

The Secretary of State accredits personal licence qualification training providers under the 2003 Act.

For details see: Accredited personal licence qualification providers

Contact the course providers direct for more information on the costs and local venues where they can be taken.

Criminal Record Check

You must submit a Criminal Record Check; issued no earlier than one calendar month before the date of the application to prove that you have not been convicted of any relevant offences. In order to do this you should submit one of the following:

  1. A criminal conviction certificate issued under s112 of the Police Act 1997
    (a basic Disclosure) or
  2. A criminal record certificate issued under s113A of the Police Act 1997
    (a standard or enhanced CRB check) or;
  3. The result of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998 of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service.

Further information about criminal record checks can be found on the Direct Gov and Business Link websites:

We advise that applicants obtain a Basic Disclosure, these can be ordered online at the  Disclosure Scotland website.

You must also make a separate declaration that you have not been convicted of a relevant offence or a foreign offence – the declaration form is available under the ‘downloads’ tab.


Should be:

  • taken against a light background;
  • size 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres;
  • be full face without sunglasses;
  • unless the applicant wears a head covering due to his/her beliefs, without a hat;
  • on photographic paper; and endorsed by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community, or any individual with a professional qualification.

Designated Premises Supervisor

A personal licence holder must give written consent to become a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) (form LA37-3) for licensed premises where the activity of sale by retail of alcohol is authorised. The DPS will normally have control of the day-to-day management of that premises under the terms of the premises licence. There can only be one DPS on the premises licence, but no limit on the number of personal licence holders in order to maintain effective management of the premises.  All sales of alcohol must be authorised by a personal licence holder.


If you have no convictions, not had a licence forfeited in the past five years, are suitably trained and are 18 or over there is no reason why you should not qualify for a personal licence.

Please note that personal licences are not required in qualifying clubs, for temporary event notices (up to a maximum of five per year) and for premises which have licensable activities that do not include the sale by retail of alcohol.  Personal licence holders are able to apply for up to fifty temporary event notices per year.

If you have any questions then please contact us.


North Kesteven District Council
Kesteven Street
NG34 7EF

Tel: 01529 414155
Fax: 01529 308394
Email: licensingteam@n-kesteven.gov.uk

Info helpful
Please let us know