Food premises registration

Before you apply for food premises registration, please make sure you read all the licensing information below.

Apply online

Apply to register a food business establishment

Who needs to register?

If you are going to store, prepare, distribute or sell food or drink on premises you need to be registered with us. “Premises” include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans, food delivery vans. Food registration is also required if you run a food business from your home e.g. cake maker. 

Some manufactures handling products of animal origin may need to be approved rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, please contact our food team.

Regulation summary

EC Regulation 852/2004 (Food Premises)

Who can run a food business?

Anyone can register as a food business operator provided they have not been prohibited by a court from doing so.

What happens once I register?

An officer from the Public Protection Team will inspect your premises, usually within 28 days of receiving your registration form.

How do I complain about a food business?

If you think you have been made ill by food you have eaten, or you find something in the food that shouldn’t be there, contact a member of the Public Protection Team. Otherwise, if you have a complaint, we would advise you to contact the business first, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that doesn’t work, contact, Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline for advice.