Food premises registration

Before you apply for any licence, please make sure you read all the licensing information below.

Apply online

Apply to register a food business establishment

Apply to change a food premises registration

Who needs to register?

If you are going to store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises you need to be registered with us. “Premises” include restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans and food delivery vans.

Some manufactures handling products of animal origin may need to be approved rather than registered. If you are uncertain whether your business needs to be approved or registered, please contact our food team team.

Regulation summary

EC Regulation 852/2004 (Food Premises)

Who can run a food business?

Anyone can register as a food business operator provided they have not been prohibited by a court from doing so.

What happens once I register?

An officer from the Food Team will inspect your premises, usually within 28 days of receiving your registration form.

How do I complain about a food business?

If you think you have been made ill by food you have eaten, or you find something in the food that shouldn’t be there, contact a member of the Food Team. Otherwise, if you have a complaint, we would advise you to contact the business first, preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that doesn’t work, contact, Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline for advice.

Environmental Health Team

North Kesteven District Council
Kesteven Street
NG34 7EF

Tel: 01529 414155
Out of Hours Emergency: 01529 308308 or 01522 699650