North Kesteven District Council (NKDC), in partnership with Lincolnshire County Council (LCC) and the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA), commissioned external consultants Gillespies in June 2010 to develop a long term vision for Sleaford. This is known as a ‘masterplan’ and aims to set out a framework and strategy for the change and growth of the town over the next 20 to 25 years.
The high level finding of the masterplan are summarised below:
- Housing Growth - the masterplan has estimated that Sleaford may need to accommodate in the region of 4,000 new dwellings over the next 25 years
- Employment Growth - retain and expand Sleaford employment base to reduce the need to travel and to provide employment opportunities for new and existing residents
- Retail & Service Provision - maintain convenience (food) retailing expenditure and expand comparison (non food) retailing and other services within town
- Accessibility - manage congestion and implement a new parking, walking and cycling strategy
- Environment & Leisure - expand green wedges, provide a coordinated approach to leisure and improve the public environment.
- Schools - support and maintain Sleaford’s high quality education system, explore relocation of one or more of the landlocked secondary schools within the town.
In addition to the above strategic proposals for the town the masterplan identifies a number of detailed proposals for the town centre. These include:
- Unlocking the town centre’s potential - a movement and parking strategy is fundamental to the town centres growth and development. Release prime sites for development and better public spaces.
- Pedestrian focused environment - shift in priority from cars to pedestrians. Public realm improvements and partial pedestrianisation are advocated.
- Key development opportunities - the masterplan proposes a number of transformation projects for the town including Southern Southgate Regeneration, Southgate Streetscape, Market Place, Riverside and Money’s Yard.
The full report and associated appendices can be found in the downloads section.