New mandatory licence conditions
Irresponsible drinks promotions are banned with effect from 6 April 2010. The Government has published a new set of Mandatory Licence Conditions applicable to all licensed premises which supply alcohol;
The Licensing Act 2003 (Mandatory Licensing Conditions) Order 2010 sets out the five new conditions that will apply to all licensed premises and those with club premises certificates (where the licence or certificate authorises the supply of alcohol).
- Ban irresponsible promotions;
- Ban the dispensing of alcohol directly in to the mouth;
- Ensure that customers have access to free tap water;
- Require an age verification policy to be in place to prevent underage sales; and
- Ensure that customers can choose small measures of beers, ciders, spirits and wine.
The Home Office has published Guidance on the new Mandatory Conditions as well as examples of good practice from the alcohol retail industry. This Guidance is available in the downloads tab.